This curry is really quick to make and is great for freezing. It is not too spicy and my kids loved it. You could also vary this by adding in different vegetables, as it is a great way of sneaking in veggies to fussy ones. If I had of served up aubergine and courgette to my eldest on their own, he would of protested in digust, but in this dish I don’t think he even realised it contained any vegetables.
Aubergine, Courgette, Sweet Potato and Lentil Curry
Serves 4 (2 adults and 2 children) with some left over to freeze
- 1 baby aubergine, chopped
- 1 large courgette, chopped
- 1 sweet potato, chopped
- 1/2 cup of red lentils
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon of curry powder (I used a green curry powder)
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 1 teaspoon of freshly grated ginger
- 1 stick of lemongrass, ground up
- 2 tablespoons of tomato paste
- 160ml of coconut milk
- 300ml of no salt chicken stock
- olive oil
- black pepper
- freshly chopped coriander to serve
Drizzle a large saucepan over a medium high heat with some olive oil. Add your onion, garlic and ginger and fry for a couple of minutes.
Add the lemon grass, curry powder, tomato paste and stir thoroughly.
Add the aubergine, courgette, sweet potato, lentils, coconut milk and chicken stock and bring to the boil.
Season with a little black pepper.
Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 30 mins.
Top with some chopped Coriander and serve with steamed basmati rice.