These Pork and Sweet Potato Meatballs were one of those last minute inspirations of a few ingredients I had that needed to be use up and it was kind of genius as these taste amazing.
The sweet potato does something magical. It gives these Pork and Sweet Potato Meatballs a natural sweetness while keeping them moist without the need for breadcrumbs etc.
These are great served with a hoisin dipping sauce or on their own with some sides of your choice. You could even just serve these up to your little ones just as they are.
For the sauce I mix together some Hoisin sauce and a bit of tomato passata (crushed tomatoes). If you or your little ones are gluten free then use a gluten free hoisin sauce.
These would also work really well using ground beef or chicken if you don’t fancy the pork.
Pork and Sweet Potato Meatballs
- 455 g /1lb of lean ground pork
- 1 small sweet potato
- 1/ 2 small red onion finely diced
- handful of fresh coriander finely chopped
- pinch of salt optional
- ¼ tsp of ground ginger
- ¼ tsp of onion powder
- ¼ tsp of garlic powder
- olive oil
For the Hoisin Sauce
- 4 tbs of hoisin sauce
- 4 tbs of passata
- 2 tbs of water
- Pierce the sweet potato with a fork and add to the microwave and cook for 5 mins (test for softness, if still a little hard, add for another minute or so, allow to cool.
- Preheat oven to 200c/400f (gas mark 6)
- Add the olive oil to a frying pan over a medium high heat
- Add the red onion and fry till softened and caramelized
- Remove and allow to cool slightly.
- When the sweet potato is cooled down, cut in half and scoop out all the flesh and add to the ground pork.
- Add the onion and all other ingredient and mix well to all combined. You want the sweet potato mashed into the pork with little small pieces.
- Form into equal sized meatballs and place on a baking tray lined with parchment paper.
- Place in the oven and bake for approx 15-20 mins (pork should be cooked through)
- Serve with your choice of sides, great with as they are or with sauce suggestions
- For the sauce add the hoisin sauce, passata and water to a small saucepan and heat gently until thickened. Serve alongside the meatballs or drizzled over the top .
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE? I’D LOVE TO SEE IT!
Snap a photo and hashtag #littlegrazers or tag me @littlegrazers on Instagram!
© All images and content on Little Grazers are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior consent.
We kindly ask that you share this recipe via the share buttons and not via screenshots.
If you use or re-create my recipes I kindly ask:
- That you credit me by linking to my original recipe post
- You don’t reproduce the recipe in full
This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my disclosure policy