I’ve recently discovered that although my kids have some aversions to certain vegetables (especially greens), they will eat almost anything in a soup. So when they are going through extremely fussy periods, I find myself making more soups. This soup although not heavy on the veg, is one of their favorites, whenever we have roast chicken, I always make up a pot of this with the leftovers. It’s also a great one to make up if your kids have been sick and their appetite is still not back to normal
Chicken Noodle Soup
- for the soup base:
- 1 Roast Chicken Carcass
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 carrots chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons of Italian Herbs
- salt and black pepper
- for the soup:
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 1 carrot finely chopped
- 1 parsnip finely chopped
- 80 g of uncooked spaghetti broken in half (use Spaghetti Squash, Spiralled Zucchini or another alternative to make this gluten free)
- some leftover cooked chicken I saved some meat from the Roast Chicken
- fresh Italian parsley
- salt optional
- black pepper
- olive oil
- Drizzle a large pot with a little olive oil over a medium high heat, add the onion, carrots, garlic and Italian herbs and fry for a few mins to soften. Break up the chicken carcass and add to the pot.
- Cover with 2 litres of water and season well with a little salt and black pepper. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for approx 1-1½ hours.
- Drain the soup base over a sieve, so that you just have the liquid/stock and set aside.
- Clean pot and drizzle with some more olive oil, add the onion, carrots and parsnips and fry till softened and lightly golden. (I like to add a parsnip into my soup as I find it gives a lovely flavour)
- Add in the homemade stock and bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for about 1 hour, until veg is tender.
- For the last 20 min of cooking time, add in the cooked chicken and spaghetti.
- Season as needed and garnish with chopped Italian parsley.
- Divide among bowls and enjoy!!
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE? I’D LOVE TO SEE IT!
Snap a photo and hashtag #littlegrazers or tag me @littlegrazers on Instagram!
© All images and content on Little Grazers are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior consent.
We kindly ask that you share this recipe via the share buttons and not via screenshots.
If you use or re-create my recipes I kindly ask:
- That you credit me by linking to my original recipe post
- You don’t reproduce the recipe in full
This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my disclosure policy
Leave a Reply