This is a great dish for making in advance and freezing in handy portions. It is not too spicy too so kids who are used to a little spice will love this. My little one was introduced to spicy things quite early on, so loves this. Even my eldest will eat it mixed with some steamed rice and a bit of yoghurt mixed in.
Spicy Lentils and Spinach
Serves 6 (4 adult portions and 2 kids)
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 teaspoon of fresh grated ginger
- 1 carrot chopped finely
- 1 courgette chopped
- 1/2 cup (120ml) green lentils
- 500ml of vegetable stock (low sodium or homemade)
- 2-3 handfuls of fresh spinach
- 1 heaped tablespoon of tomato paste (no salt varieties)
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons of ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon of turmeric
- 1 teaspoon of garam masala
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- olive oil
- Natural Yoghurt and Fresh Coriander
Add some olive oil to a large saucepan over a medium high heat. Add the onion, garlic and ginger and fry until slightly softened.
Add carrot, courgette, cumin , coriander, garam masala, little black pepper, lentils and tomato paste and mix to evenly coat.
Add the stock to the saucepan. Bring to a boil and then cover, lower heat, and simmer for about 1.5 hours until lentils are soft and stock has almost absorbed into lentils and vegetables.
Add spinach and stir until spinach is slightly wilted into mixture.
Serve topped with a little natural yoghurt and some fresh coriander..