I had 3 very ripe bananas sitting in my fruit bowl, as well as some more pitted dates to use up, so thought I would make a loaf with them. I wasn’t sure how well it would turn out with no sugar, but it was surprisingly good, in fact it really didn’t need an sugar at all, the sweetness of the bananas and dates combined was enough. It was lovely and moist too. I will definitely be making this a regular for my little grazers. It will be great for putting into my son’s lunch box too.
Banana and Date Loaf
recipe yields 1 loaf
- 1 cup of all purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda
- 3 ripe bananas (mashed with a fork)
- 4 tablespoons of unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons of honey (omit it baby is under 1)
- 1 egg
- 4 tablespoons of whole milk
- 70g of pitted dates (roughly chopped into small pieces)
Preheat oven to 180c or 350f (gas mark 4)
Sieve flour, baking powder and soda into a large bowl.
In a separate bowl, beat together the butter, honey and vanilla extract and then gradually beat in the egg.
Add the bananas and milk and then fold in the flour mixture and dates.
Line a loaf tin with some baking paper and pour in the mixture.
Bake in then oven for approx 45 mins, until a wooden skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean.
Allow to cool and then slice and serve.
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE? I’D LOVE TO SEE IT!
Snap a photo and hashtag #littlegrazers or tag me @littlegrazers on Instagram!
© All images and content on Little Grazers are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior consent.
We kindly ask that you share this recipe via the share buttons and not via screenshots.
If you use or re-create my recipes I kindly ask:
- That you credit me by linking to my original recipe post
- You don’t reproduce the recipe in full
This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my disclosure policy