Soon the kids will be on their summer holidays, so I am trying to come up with more recipes for on the go when we are on days out that I can pack up into a picnic. Finger foods always work best and these little bites are delicious. You could add some other veg or even some other protein into these too to mix them up a bit.
Cheesy Couscous Bites with Tomato Dip
- 1 cup of couscous 240ml
- 1 cup of hot chicken or vegetable stock 240ml
- 60 g /2oz cheddar grated
- 30 g /1oz of parmesan grated
- melted butter for brushing
- for the sauce
- 4 large vine tomatoes peeled and chopped
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic crushed
- 1 tbs of mixed herbs
- 1 splash of balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbs of tomato paste
- 1 cup of chicken or vegetable stock 240ml
- 1 tbs of olive oil
- black pepper
- Add the couscous to a saucepan, cover with the 1 cup of hot chicken or vegetable stock, stir, add leave and leave for 5 mins.
- Preheat oven to 200c, 400f (gas mark 6)
- Add olive oil to a frying pan over a medium high heat
- Add the onion and garlic and fry till softened
- Add the tomatoes and simmer until they start to break down into a sauce.
- Add the mixed herbs, tomato paste, splash of balsamic and stock and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, add lid and simmer for 30 mins, until sauce reduces down and thickens.
- Fluff up the couscous with fork, add half of the tomato sauce and mix. Stir in the the cheddar and Parmesan.
- With hands work all the mixture together and form into 15 mini bites. Place on a baking tray lined with parchment and spray over the top with spray oil, bake in the oven for 30 mins until lightly golden.
- While the bites are cooking in the oven, add the remainder of the sauce to a blender and blend till smooth. (or you can leave it chunky for a more rustic sauce)
- Serve the bites with the sauce on the side. Both the bites and sauce are delicious served hot or cold.
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE? I’D LOVE TO SEE IT!
Snap a photo and hashtag #littlegrazers or tag me @littlegrazers on Instagram!
© All images and content on Little Grazers are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior consent.
We kindly ask that you share this recipe via the share buttons and not via screenshots.
If you use or re-create my recipes I kindly ask:
- That you credit me by linking to my original recipe post
- You don’t reproduce the recipe in full
This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my disclosure policy