Chilli is a great dish to make in bulk, easily freezed and you can pretty much add anything to it. The spicyness is entirely up to you. You can make it quite mild or add a few more jalapeno’s for a nice spicy kick.
Chilli Con Carne
Serves 4 (2 adults and 2 kids) plus plenty leftover to freeze for another day
- 500g of ground beef
- 1 large onion chopped
- 2 jalapenos, deseeded and chopped (add more or less depending on how spicy you like it)
- 2 cloves of garlic crushed
- 1 carrot, halved and chopped
- 1 stick of celery chopped
- half a red pepper, chopped
- half a green pepper, chopped
- 1 tin of kidney beans, drained and washed
- 200ml of beef stock (low sodium)
- 4 tablespoons of tomato paste
- 1 400g tin of chopped tomatoes (no added salt varieties)
- 2 teaspoons of ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons of paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon of cayenne pepper
- 2 level teaspoons of brown sugar (optional)
- Olive oil
- sour cream
- fresh chopped coriander
Add some olive oil to a large saucepan over a medium high heat and add the ground beef, onion, celery and garlic to the pan, and cook until softened.
Add the carrot, peppers and jalapeno and cook for a further 3 mins.
Add all the spices and tomato paste and mix to evenly coat.
Add the tinned tomatoes, remaining stock, sugar and kidney beans to the pan, bring to a boil and then reduce heat, cover and simmer for approx 1 hour. Add more stock if needed.
Top with a dollop of sour cream and some chopped Coriander
Great served with rice, potatoes, taco’s. The choice is yours.