This sauce is great for pasta or as a base sauce for many other dishes too. I even use it for topping homemade pizza’s. It comes packed with lots of good veggies, but as they are hidden well within the sauce even fussy ones will love this.
Homemade Tomato Sauce
Makes approx 700ml
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 2 sticks of celery, finely chopped
- 1 cup of passata (approx 230ml)
- 400g of fresh tomatoes, skinned and chopped (or a 400g tin of no added salt chopped tomatoes)
- 2 tablespoon of tomato paste
- 400ml of low sodium vegetable stock
- some fresh basil and parsley, chopped
- splash of balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over a medium heat.
Add the onions, celery, carrots and garlic and cook for approx 5 mins until softened.
Add the remaining ingredients, Bring to the boil and cover and simmer for approx 1 hour
Blend until smooth.
You can put this into portion size tubs and freeze to use when needed or store in an sealable jar in the fridge.