This pilaf is a great side for a variety of main dishes. I use a less stock to rice ratio here because zucchini has a lot of moisture. If you add too much you get a gloopy mess, it is better to finish off rice with the lid steaming method I mention in instructions, as the result will always be lovely fluffy rice. Also the zucchini is well hidden within the rice, so most fussy kids won’t even notice it’s there.
Zucchini and Rice Pilaf
- 1 cup of rice
- 1 large zucchini courgette
- 1 onion
- 1 tsp of turmeric
- 1 tsp of cumin seeds
- 1 clove of garlic crushed
- 1.5 cups of chicken or vegetable stock 360ml
- 1 tbs of ghee or other oil of choice
- fresh chopped coriander
- Add the onion to a mini food processor to chop finely
- Add the ghee to a frying pan over a medium high heat
- Add the onion, garlic, turmeric, cumin seeds and fry for approx 5 mins to soften
- Add the zucchini to a mini food processor to chop finely
- Add the zucchini and rice to the frying pan with the onion and mix together.
- Pour in the stock and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer until stock is almost absorbed
- Turn off heat and set aside for 10 mins or so, but leave covered as the steam will continue to cook the rice.
- Serve with your choice of main. Is great with a variety of meat/fish dishes.
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE? I’D LOVE TO SEE IT!
Snap a photo and hashtag #littlegrazers or tag me @littlegrazers on Instagram!
© All images and content on Little Grazers are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior consent.
We kindly ask that you share this recipe via the share buttons and not via screenshots.
If you use or re-create my recipes I kindly ask:
- That you credit me by linking to my original recipe post
- You don’t reproduce the recipe in full
This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my disclosure policy