This is a great dish for the whole family. Beef, Barley and Kale all cooked in one pot to make a comforting hearty bowl of stew. My daughter has been having a slight aversion to any vegetables of the green coloured family, except for cucumber of course. I have continued to add green vegetables to her plate whenever I cooked them and not say anything, if she eats it or tries it great, if she doesn’t no problem. Normally she will pick the green stuff out of anything like this, but today she happily announced, “Mummy, I like the green vegetables in this” as she devoured her whole bowl. You’ve got to love moments like that.
Beef and Barley Stew
- 600 g of stewing beef 21oz
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic crushed
- 1 large carrot finely chopped
- 125 g of mushrooms chopped, 4.5 oz
- 3 cups of chicken stock
- 3 cup of beef stock
- 1 tablespoon of tomato paste
- 1 tsp of thyme
- 1 tsp of rosemary
- ½ tsp of paprika
- 1 cup of chopped kale
- ½ cup of barley I used Trader Joes 10 minute barley
- olive oil
- Drizzle a large pot over a medium high heat with some olive oil
- Add the beef and fry till lightly golden, remove and set aside
- Add the onion, and fry to soften. Add a couple of spoonfuls of either stock just to deglaze the pan
- Add the garlic, carrot, thyme and rosemary, paprika and tomato paste
- Add back in the stewing beef and stir to coat.
- Add all the stock and bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, cover with a lid and simmer for approx 1 hour.
- Season to taste with black pepper and then add in the barley and kale and simmer for a approx 15 mins till barley is cooked.
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE? I’D LOVE TO SEE IT!
Snap a photo and hashtag #littlegrazers or tag me @littlegrazers on Instagram!
© All images and content on Little Grazers are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior consent.
We kindly ask that you share this recipe via the share buttons and not via screenshots.
If you use or re-create my recipes I kindly ask:
- That you credit me by linking to my original recipe post
- You don’t reproduce the recipe in full
This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my disclosure policy