We eat a lot of quinoa and so I am always trying to come up with new ideas for things to mix into it. My kids love quinoa bites and I find they are great for hiding vegetables. I often just look in my fridge or cupboard to see what I have that might work well together and the result today was these quinoa bites, which with the sweetness of the carrot and the flavour of the cilantro, work really well together. My almost 2 year old, devoured two almost instantly and the rest were almost gone as soon as they cooled down enough to eat. I will be making up another batch soon. Although I am guessing next time, I will probably get creative once again and throw in something different.
Carrot and Cilantro Quinoa Bites
- 1/2 cup of uncooked quinoa rinsed
- 1 cup of no added salt chicken stock
- 1 small onion halved and thinly sliced
- 2 small carrots grated
- leaves small bunch of cilantro finely chopped, coriander
- 30 g of cheddar
- 1 egg
- 1 egg white
- 4 tablespoons of sour cream
- olive oil
- Add the quinoa to a saucepan along with the stock, bring to a boil, reduced heat, cover and simmer until stock is absorbed and quinoa is fluffy. Set aside to cool
- Preheat oven to 180c or 350f (gas mark 4)
- Drizzle a frying pan with a little olive oil and fry the onion, until softened.
- Add this to a bowl, along with the carrot, cheddar, sour cream, cilantro and cooled quinoa and mix well.
- Stir in the egg and egg white
- Grease a mini muffin tray and spoon the mixture into each muffin hole. Place in the oven and bake until lightly golden and set (approx 30 mins).
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE? I’D LOVE TO SEE IT!
Snap a photo and hashtag #littlegrazers or tag me @littlegrazers on Instagram!
© All images and content on Little Grazers are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior consent.
We kindly ask that you share this recipe via the share buttons and not via screenshots.
If you use or re-create my recipes I kindly ask:
- That you credit me by linking to my original recipe post
- You don’t reproduce the recipe in full
This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my disclosure policy