I had some wheat berries in my cupboard that I was keen to use in a recipe. Rummaging in my fridge i noticed the sausages and fresh sage, so though what better than a stuffing ball kind of bite, so of course a grated apple for a bit of sweetness was a must. This are so delicious. They can be served as they are with my suggested dip or as part of a roast dinner meal.If you cant get wheat berries, then I suggest using bulgur wheat.
Sausage, Apple and Sage, Wheat Berry Bites
- 1/2 cup of wheat berries rinsed
- 1 onion chopped
- leaves handful of sage finely chopped
- 1 sweet apple grated
- 250 g of good quality sausage remove skin
- pinch of black pepper
- 1 egg
- Place the wheat berries in a saucepan with 2 cups of water, bring to a boil and then cover and reduce heat to low and simmer or approx 1 hour, until all water has been absorbed. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- Preheat oven to 180c of 350f (gas mark 4)
- Add all ingredients to a bowl and mix well to combine, form into equal size bites.
- Place on a baking tray (I lined mine with parchment just to prevent any sticking) and bake in the oven until firm and lightly golden on the outside. (approx 30 mins)
- Serve with a dip. (The dip I made, was 4 tablespoons of mayonnaise mixed with 2 tablespoons of peach, mango and orange spread). My youngest is loving dipping things at the moment.
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE? I’D LOVE TO SEE IT!
Snap a photo and hashtag #littlegrazers or tag me @littlegrazers on Instagram!
© All images and content on Little Grazers are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior consent.
We kindly ask that you share this recipe via the share buttons and not via screenshots.
If you use or re-create my recipes I kindly ask:
- That you credit me by linking to my original recipe post
- You don’t reproduce the recipe in full
This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my disclosure policy
Leave a Reply