Homemade Marinara is such a quick and easy sauce to make. I rarely use ready made jars as I find them far too salty. There is nothing like the freshness of a homemade sauce and best of all this one can be made in advance and kept in a lidded jar in the fridge or frozen. Just double, triple the recipe if you want to make a larger quantity. This is not just delicious for your little ones, but is great or the whole family.
Homemade Marinara Sauce
- 3 large beefsteak tomatoes peeled and chopped or large tomatoes
- 1 small onion finely chopped
- 1 small carrot finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 tablespoon of tomato paste
- 1 cup of low sodium or homemade chicken or vegetable broth 240ml
- 1 tablespoon of balsamic vinegar
- chopped fresh basil and Italian parsley
- black pepper to season
Add the olive oil to a pan over a medium heat.
Add the onion, carrot and garlic and saute for about 5 mins.
Add the tomatoes and continue to saute until the tomatoes start to break down
Add the tomato paste, balsamic vinegar and stock and bring to a boil.
Reduce heat and simmer until stock reduces down - approx 20-30 mins
Roughly blend with a stick blender, add freshly chopped basil and parsley and season to taste with a little black pepper.
Can be used straight away on pasta or veggies noodles or placed in a lidded jar in the fridge.
This can also be frozen.
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE? I’D LOVE TO SEE IT!
Snap a photo and hashtag #littlegrazers or tag me @littlegrazers on Instagram!
© All images and content on Little Grazers are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior consent.
We kindly ask that you share this recipe via the share buttons and not via screenshots.
If you use or re-create my recipes I kindly ask:
- That you credit me by linking to my original recipe post
- You don’t reproduce the recipe in full
This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my disclosure policy