This is quite a mild curry, so most kids will love it or if your kids can handle a bit more spice, a red chili or two thrown gives it that little bit more heat.
Serves 4 (2 adults and 2 kids)
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves crushed
- 2 carrots, finely chopped
- 1 courgette, finely chopped
- 1 red chilli’s, finely chopped (optional, depends how hot your kids can handle)
- 1 cup (240ml) of red lentils
- 2 cups (480ml) of low sodium vegetable stock
- 1 tin of coconut milk
- 2 teaspoons of ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons of ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon of turmeric
- 2 bay leaves
- fresh coriander
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
Add the olive oil to a Large saucepan over a medium high heat. Add the onion, red chili and garlic and fry for 2-3 mins.
Add the carrot and courgette and fry for a further 5 mins to soften.
Stir in the lentils, spices, and bay leaves and mix to evenly coat. Pour in the stock, bring to a boil, then reduce heat, add coconut milk, cover and simmer for approx 40mins, until most of liquid is absorbed and lentils are softened.
Top with some fresh chopped coriander and serve with rice