This is quite a mild curry (when you omit the red chilli), so most kids will love it or if your kids are a bit older and can handle a bit more spice, it is great with a bit more heat. My kids love this either with rice or just scoop it up with some heated naan bread.
Serves 4 (2 adults and 2 kids)
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves crushed
- 2 carrots, finely grated
- 1 courgette, finely grated
- 1 red chilli, finely chopped (optional, depends how hot your kids can handle)
- 1 cup (240ml) of red lentils
- 3 cups (720ml) of low sodium vegetable stock
- 1 cup (240ml of coconut milk
- 2 teaspoons of ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons of ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon of turmeric
- 2 bay leaves
- fresh coriander
- 1 tablespoon of ghee or olive oil
Add the ghee to a Large saucepan over a medium high heat. Add the onion, red chili and garlic and fry for 2-3 mins.
Add the carrot and courgette and fry for a further 5 mins to soften.
Stir in the lentils, spices, and bay leaves and mix to evenly coat. Pour in the stock, bring to a boil, then reduce heat, add coconut milk, cover and simmer for approx 40mins, until most of liquid is absorbed and lentils are softened.
Top with some fresh chopped coriander and serve with rice
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE? I’D LOVE TO SEE IT!
Snap a photo and hashtag #littlegrazers or tag me @littlegrazers on Instagram!
© All images and content on Little Grazers are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior consent.
We kindly ask that you share this recipe via the share buttons and not via screenshots.
If you use or re-create my recipes I kindly ask:
- That you credit me by linking to my original recipe post
- You don’t reproduce the recipe in full
This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my disclosure policy