Another yummy lentil recipe for your whole family to enjoy. I am really enjoying cooking with lentils at the moment and they are so cheap and versatile too. I will probably leave out the fresh coriander in a section of it next time, as my son and his green food phobia put him off. But it was loved by the rest of us and is great for baby led weaning. The spices are quite mild, but then my little has been introduced to spicy things quite early on, so it will depend on the taste of your little one for how much spice they can handle.
Mexican Lentil Bake
Serves 4 (2 adults and 2 kids) with plenty leftover
- 1 cup (240ml) of red lentils (uncooked), rinsed
- 1 small red onion finely chopped *
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 2 teaspoons of olive oil
- 1 small red pepper, finely chopped *
- 1 small yellow pepper, finely chopped *
- 1 cup (240ml) of black beans (tinned – no added salt varieties)
- 1 cup (240ml) of frozen sweet corn
- 1 potato, peeled and chopped
- 3 tablespoons of tomato paste (check for ones with no added salt)
- 1 teaspoon of chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon of ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon of ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon of paprika
- freshly chopped coriander
- 3 eggs
* I finely chop my vegetables in a mini food processor
Add the lentils to a saucepan of boiling hot water (480ml) and simmer until softened, drain and set aside.
Preheat oven to 180c or 350f (gas mark 4)
Add the olive oil to a frying pan over a medium high heat and fry the onion and garlic until softened.
Add the peppers and fry for a further 5 mins
Stir in the tomato paste and spices (except the paprika) to evenly coat
Add to a large bowl, along with the lentils, black beans and sweetcorn and mix well.
Add the potato cubes to the frying pan along with the paprika and fry until slightly softened. Mix the potato cubes into the lentil mixture and allow to cool.
Onced cooled add in the eggs and fresh coriander and mix well.
Pour into a greased oven proof tray and smooth over with a spatula.
Bake in the oven for approx 30 mins, Mixture should be set and golden.
Allow to cool slightly, then slice and serve.